Common Law and Marie Anna Hertous
Husband Common Law
Born: Christened: Died: Buried:Marriage:
1. Military Service: 1850, StrÝbrec, , , Czech Republic. A soldier in the Austrian army. He was compelled to serve 7 years of duty. Additionally, he was not permitted to marry while a soldier. He died in service.
Wife Marie Anna Hertous
AKA: Herthaus, Hertous, Hertuss, Marie Kopetsky Born: 27 Jan 1826 - StrÝbrec House #57, , , Czech Republic Christened: Died: 10 Dec 1895 - McLennan County, Texas Buried: - St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, West, McLennan County, Texas
Father: Frantisek Hertous (1803-1881) Mother: Josefa Kubat (1797-1870)
Other Spouse: John Kopecky - 18 Jan 1875 - Fayetteville, Fayette, Texas, USA
1. Birth: 24 Jan 1826, StrÝbrec, , , Czech Republic. According to records at the Trebon Archive, Marie was born in Stribrec house #57. The birtdate on her grave marker has February 1, 1826. It is not unusual to have mismatches in birth dates for those born in the 1800s.
Father : Franz Hertaus ,Hausher aus Silberloss Haus Nr.57
Mutter : Josepha eheliche Tochter des Johann Kubat Hausler und Anna Mutter
* 24.Janner 1826 Maria Anna Silberloss 57
Notice : 14.August 1872 auf Amerika
2. Biography: StrÝbrec, , , Czech Republic. Marie Hertaus immigrated with her two daughters Marie and Josephine in 1872. A father or husband has not been listed, and it is believed that Marie was unwed. Daughter, Marie, married Anton Sulak November 2, 1873 and the other daughter, Josephine, married Paul Sulak (a half brother to Anton) in 1875.
The record on Marie is not good. The only official document is a marriage license to John Kopecky in 1874 in Fayette County, Texas. No census record of John and Marie Kopecky has yet been located. John is believed to have passed away not long after the marriage.
Marie is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery. The marker has the spelling Marie Kopetsky, but the burial record from the Catholic Archive lists the name as Marie Kopecky.
According to a researcher for the town of Stribrec:
Frantisek Hertaus married Josefa Kubat
Marie Anna - January 24,1826
Frantisek - April 28, 1828
Matej - February 2, 1830
Vaclav - September 18, 1832
Jan - May 5, 1838
Josefa - March 7, 1840
Marie Anna was the mate of a soldier but he was not allowed to marry for the seven years he was in the military. They had a common law marriage but he died during his service. She came to America in 1872. I do not know the name of her mate.
Marie - 1851
Katerina & another female infant - born and died September 7, 1854
Josefa - February 1852
female - born and died 1859
3. Immigration: 14 Aug 1882, Texas. According to the parish records in Stribrec, Marie intended to join her brother (Matej) in Minnesota. We will never know what twist of fate led her to Texas. The story was also told that the voyage was made on a cattle boat. Along the way, the boat either got lost, or was be-calmed for an extended time. Several people had died and was buried at sea shrouded in cloth. The survivors kept up their morale by accordian music and dancing. The family was said to have made their way from Houston to Fayette County.
Notice : 14.August 1872 auf Amerika
1 F Marie Anna Hertous
AKA: Herthaus, Hertous, Hertuss Born: 6 Jun 1850 - StrÝbrec House #27, , , Czech Republic Christened: 6 Jun 1850 - All Saints Church, Lutova, Czech Republic Died: 13 Nov 1934 - West, McLennan County, Texas Buried: - St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, West, McLennan County, TexasSpouse: Anton Sulak Sr. Marr: 2 Nov 1873 - Washington County, Texas
2 F Katerina Hertous
Born: 7 Sep 1854 - StrÝbrec House #42, , , Czech Republic Christened: 8 Sep 1854 - StrÝbrec, , , Czech Republic Died: 8 Jan 1855 - StrÝbrec House #27, , , Czech Republic Buried:
3 F Josephine Hertous
AKA: Josefa Hertaus, Herthaus, Josefa Hertousova, Hertuss Born: 6 Feb 1857 - StrÝbrec House #42, , , Czech Republic Christened: 7 Feb 1857 - All Saints Church, Lutova, Czech Republic Died: 8 Jan 1947 - West, McLennan County, Texas Buried: 9 Jan 1947 - St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, West, McLennan County, TexasSpouse: Paul Sulak Marr: 1 Feb 1875 - Fayetteville, Fayette, Texas, USA
4 F Infant2 Hertous
Born: 1859 Christened: Died: 1859 Buried: